From Milkymist Wiki
Welcome to the Milkymist wiki
The goal of the project is to develop a stand-alone device in a small form factor that is capable of rendering MilkDrop-esque visuals effects in real time, with a high level of interaction with many sensors and using live audio and video streams as a base.
Open source components and design tools have been developed or used as much as possible. A system-on-chip implemented in a FPGA has been chosen for meeting this goal at the IP core level.
The flexibility of the FPGA enables advanced users to modify the design, and also permits compact integration of many interfaces (MIDI, OSC, DMX512, analog sensors, video inputs), making Milkymist™ a platform of choice for the mobile VJ.
The design is also highly modular and documented, making the code easy to re-use in other open source system-on-chips.
Consult the main project page for downloads and official information.
NB! Because of the impossible combination of spam and vandalism problems and of lack of time to fix them properly, account creation is currently disabled. Contact sebastien at milkymist -dot- org to get an account and the possibility to edit pages here.
Resources for users
Milkymist Vacation Club
- 2012-07-07/12, Geneva, RMLL (TBC)
- 2012-05-18, Berlin, Freitagsrunde TechTalk at TU-Berlin
- 2012-05-12, Paris, Vision-R VJ Festival (TBC)
- 2012-04-13, Cleveland, Notacon
- 2012-03-17, Shanghai, Workshop at Jue Festival
- 2012-01-11, Shanghai, presentation at XinCheJian
- 2011-11-17/20, Bergen, Using the Milkymist One, workshop at the Piksel festival
- 2011-11-10, Berlin, Presentation at Scope Session #8
- 2011-11-05, Utrecht, Performance by Alejandra Perez Nunez (sound) and Christopher Adams (video using M1) at IMPAKT Festival
- 2011-11-4/6, London, VJ installation with Milkymist One at the Mozilla Festival
- 2011-10-15, Berne, Software development workshop on the Milkymist SoC platform at 0sec
- 2011-10-09, Grenoble, How to design logic synthesis and place-and-route tools
- 2011-10-01, Berlin, Interactive visuals workshop with Milkymist One and Arduino
- 2011-09-22, Minsk, Milkymist One showcase at Live Performers Meeting
- 2011-09-17, Warsaw, VJ installation with Milkymist One at the Creative Commons Summit party
- 2011-09-15, New York, Milkymist One demonstration at ohsummit
- SoC Roadmap
- Recommended ISE versions
- HDL guidelines
- Development Environment
- How to make a simple core for CSR bus
- How to make a simple core for the Conbus (Wishbone-like)
- How to add an aditional slave/master
- How to handle an interrupt
- How to talk with milkymist cores
- LM32 documentation errata
- RTEMS build instructions
- Run RTEMS sample applications on the Milkymist One board and on Qemu
- Pending RTEMS PRs
- Milkymist devices roadmap
- M1 PCB errata and changes
- M1 RC1 signal integrity measurements
- Part list (outdated, see the BoM at Qi-Hardware instead)
- Companion MM1 Serial JTAG interface board
You can find all the code on our GitHub organization page.